[Dixielandjazz] CD Royalties?

Creole Dixieland Jazz Band Creole Dixieland Jazz Band" <dixielandjazz@myexcel.com
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:14:23 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick Cooke" <patcooke@cox.net>
To: "Creole Dixieland Jazz Band" <dixielandjazz@myexcel.com>;
<Bigbuttbnd@aol.com>; <dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 11:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] CD Royalties?

> When we made a CD about 4 or 5 years ago, the rule was anything 75 years
or
> older was public domain.

Thanks for the feedback, Pat. But I am looking for the source of your
information ("anything 75 years or older is public domain"). I really
appreciate your help/opinion but need teh actual documentation. If you know
where I can find it, please let know. Thanks again.

>      Yes, I do believe Harry Fox collects royalties where it is sometimes
> not required by listing songs where only an arrangement of it still has a
> valid copyright.

I suspect this is the case also. That they collect royalties on
"arrangements" of the songs when royalties on the songs themselves are not
necessary. I'm simply trying to do the right thing. But I do NOT want to pay
royalties if it is not necessary that I do so.

Dave
"It's a treat to beat your feet."
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band
Dave Gravatt