[Dixielandjazz] CD Royalties?

Creole Dixieland Jazz Band Creole Dixieland Jazz Band" <dixielandjazz@myexcel.com
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:09:51 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: John Mumford
To: dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 11:00 PM
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] CD Royalties?

Dave,

You said you had no problem paying the royalties but it sounds like you
don't want to.
--------------

You are absolutely correct. I have no problem with the idea of paying them,
but do not want to -- if it is not legally required that I do so. (Who would
want to pay if it wasn't required?)
-------------

I believe the legislation that passed recently puts a copyright 50 years
beyond the life of the author not the published date.  The song Sweet
Georgia Brown was written in 1925 and is listed by ASCAP as one of their top
ten recorded songs.  This song is not in the public domain.
--------------

That is the type of information I'm looking for. Please send me your source
of that information.
------------------

I have found most songs written before 1923 to be in the public domain and
yes our band has paid royalties on every CD.  The money is paid to Harry Fox
on a quarterly basis as CDs are sold and you don't pay up front for all
1,000 CDs.  On the average the royalties have amounted to about $1.00 per
CD.
----------------

Again, where did you find your information? Where did you get the "1923"
date? Where on the Harry Fox site does it mention paying quarterly? (a link
please?) All resources I've found point me to the SongFile site which
requires an upfront 8 cts per song per CD plus a $2 handling fee. I really
do appreciate your help/opinion but am looking for actual documentation.
Thanks again.

Dave
"It's a treat to beat your feet."
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band