[Dixielandjazz] CD Royalties?

Creole Dixieland Jazz Band Creole Dixieland Jazz Band" <dixielandjazz@myexcel.com
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 19:17:42 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Meg Graf" <meggraf@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] CD Royalties?

> Hello, Dave,
>
> A band I play in is in the process of producing our first CD.  We too have
been told by
> many to "not worry."  I did some research, and the best information I
could come up with
> indicates that SEVENTY years plus is "public domain."

That is exactly the information I'm looking for. I am seeking the
documentation that proves it. Is there an online site?

> Four songs on our soon-to-be-
> released CD do not fall into that category.  We purchased a license to
perform those
> four tunes, to the tune of $88 each, from the Harry Fox agency.  In
addition, we will
> pay royalties of about $.07 per tune for each CD sold.

I was under the impression that paying the "license" was the same thing as
paying the "royalties". Is this not the case?

Thanks for the feedback, Meg.

Dave
"It's a treat to beat your feet."
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band