[Dixielandjazz] Who dat?

Don Ingle dingle@baldwin-net.com
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 15:58:57 -0500

Jim: Nostalia rears its fuzzy head.
   Do you remembe the little guy who would show up at clubs with a pole and
attached sock cymble, and other washbroad type stuff, and sit in a number
bouncing it on the floor and hitting things on it with one drums stick?
Think he was a lawyer or some professional and got his jollies that way.
   And do you remember Fr.Owen, theNight Pastor, who used to attend to the
spiritual needs of the Rush St. and near North club workers, and would sit
in and play some decent piano? Think he died in the late 60's after I left
Chicago.
   Just a couple random thoughts of the past sparked by the Bugle Sam
remark.
   I too cought the N.O. boradcasts -- Martin at Midnight. He used to have a
neat little band in the Dave Pell mode on from time to time. Blanking on the
name of the leader -- Italian name -- Al Belito? Played wonderful charts
that were not far out but nice and tight ensembles.
   On the road at night going from one one-nighter to another, the car radio
would pick this station up all over the midwest and south and it would keep
us a little sane and awake in the face of white line hypnosis.
   Those road days seem like fun now in retrospect -- but they were killer
days that took their toll on long road trips. Did 94,000 miles on the
odometer in one year with the Weems Band, coast to coast and back again. We
would sing the old MCA song..."On the Road for MCA...300 miles a day. Just
to see the sun come up again when we entered I-O-Way!"
Or - "The sun has riz and the sun has set, and we ain't outa Texas Yet!"
   Don Ingle