[Dixielandjazz] RE: video (How many have broadband?)

Richard Stevens jazzfact@ozemail.com.au
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 07:37:23 +1000

Hi John,
I suspect not many people use broadband, what % do you think have it?

I only have that video on my site as 56 kbs (about 1 meg total) because
of restrictions on the SIZE of MY website. If I could put a larger file
on here it would be a lot clearer to watch on broadband. On my computer
here with a good graphics card it is clearer and more detailed than a
television set. The file is saved on my machine at 1500kbs (100 meg) and
when saved as an avi file,it is huge (1 hour can fill a 40 gig hard
drive)

Richard Stevens
The Jazz Factory
www.ozemail.com.au/~jazzfact/

-----Original Message-----
From: John Ding [mailto:roadie@btinternet.com]
Sent: Friday, 25 October 2002 10:08 PM
To: Richard Stevens
Subject: Re: video [Broadband check]

Hello Richard,

I asked a broadband friend to check out your video who, sadly, reported
back they too found it fuzzy and unclear.  From what little I know about
computers (and that ain't much) I suspect the problem *may* lie not with
the mode of delivery i.e. narrow or broadband, but with the
video/graphics
cards folks have in their computers. But that's just a guess.

As regards DVD burners ...... they getting cheaper up here but, like in
the
old days of the VHS vs Betamax video, there are  (from what I have read)
at
least two competing 'systems' DVD+RW and DVD-RW. I haven't really
explored either but when I can find the link, the BBC published an
article
earlier this week about them on their Technology page, I will send it to
you.

Found it :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/sci_tech/2000/dot_life/2325705.stm

Bye for now,