[Dixielandjazz] "To Anacreon in Heaven" website

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 16:18:41 -0500

    For those fans of the United States National Anthem, there's a website that has the actual printed music to "To Anacreon in Heaven", the words, and a brief history of the song.  It's at: http://www.bcpl.net/~etowner/anacreon.html
    The first verse of the song goes like this:

"To Anacreon in Heaven, where he fat in full glee,
A few fons of Harmony fent a petition,
That He their Infpirer and Patron would be;
When this anfwer arrived from the Jolly Old Grecian
'Voice, Fiddle, and Flute,
'no longer be mute,
'I'll lend you my Name and infpire you to boot,
'And, befides, I'll infruct you like me to entwine
'The Myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's Vine'"

(As Stan Freberg's character in "Stan Freberg Presents the United States of America!" remarked, "All your S's look like F's!", to which John Hancock replied, "But it's in!  It's very in!".  "Oh, well, if it's in...")

    Dan

P. S. "Stan Freberg Presents the United States of America!" is still available on CD (both original and second versions).  I recommend it highly.
--
** Dan Augustine - ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu             **