[Dixielandjazz] Tommy Loy Memorial

Thompson rebecca.e.thompson@verizon.net
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 07:46:42 -0500

=20

Jim and I went to Tommy's funeral last Sunday afternoon.  It was a very
nice memorial that left everyone lifted in spirits.  Tommy and I had
talked a long time ago about planning our funerals and he told me HE had
already planned his.  Well, I must say, he a great job and I now need to
start doing some more planning! =20
 =20
A lady by the name of Judy Moore played the piano with bass
accompaniment by Rev. Gil Pitts on bass.  She played classical, bluesy,
religious and patriotic selections -- all beautifully and tastefully.
Rev. Pitts welcomed the crowd and offered a prayer.  Then after two of
Tommy's grandchildren read a poem and talked about their grandfather,
they played "Just a Closer Walk" which Tommy had recorded with The Levy
Band 40 years ago.

David Burgher, a former classmate and Tom Merriman, former associate in
the jingle business,   reminisced about their association with Tommy.
Tommy spent many years as a sound engineer as well as a jingle singer
with two of Tom Merriman's businesses.  These jingles were used
world-wide on radio. (See http://musicradio.computer.net/PAMSmisc.html)

Then Alex Burton, longtime radio personality in the Dallas market, read
the following poem by Mary E. Frye that begins:

"Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there I do not sleep."

(If you have not heard this poem before and would like to, I have the
rest I can share off line).
=20
A fellow musician of over forty years, Danny Hollis, played "Poor
Butterfly" on the piano with bass accompanist.  Then after a message of
comfort and another prayer,  Tommy's Upper Dallas Jazz Band played about
four songs.  Jim Cullum was there from San Antonio and played cornet.
The music would have gone on longer, except there was another service to
be held at 4:00 and it was already 3:30 when we were told we needed to
leave.  Tommy's had begun at 2:00 p.m.  It was a standing room only
crowd.

At the front of the chapel there were several sprays of flowers, and in
the middle, a table with Tommy's blue sports coat which he wore when he
played the National Anthem.  (I saw it displayed in the shadow box on
the wall of his office when we went to his house for a visit two weeks
ago.)  Beside it, on one side rested his cornet (actually his gold
plated Puj=E9) and on the other side, an American flag, boxed.  At the
right on another table there were numerous pictures of Tommy at various
stages of his life. I had never known him with hair!  There were also
photos of him with his dog, "Sir", a St. Bernard.  Tommy chose to be
cremated, so there was no casket.

As those attending Tommy's memorial service were reminded, Tommy had
some great "one-liners".  One story told .... when younger, Tommy often
climbed onto a chair, table, bar, etc. while playing, never missing a
beat.  Once, his band was invited to play in the home of a very
well-to-do person.  While playing in the dining room, Tommy climbed onto
the dining table... but then the table broke and collapsed.  Tommy
immediately said, "Quick, let's get out of here before anyone notices"!

They asked in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the A.S.P.C.A. or
the SMU Mustang Band.

One aspect of Tommy's life that no one mentioned, is that he volunteered
at Baylor Hospital every week in the Cardiac Unit to help other cardiac
patients and their families deal with their by-pass surgery and
recovery.  Tommy had three stints himself, so he wanted to "give back".
Last year after his bout with prostrate cancer, he participated in a
marathon walk for cancer victims.

The memorial service left such an impression with me.  The beautiful
music is still in my head. I can just hear Tommy saying to me with a
wink, "See I KNEW you'd like it."  As his #2 daughter wrote me, "Daddy
always knew how to put on a great performance!"

Respectfully submitted.

Rebecca Thompson
Flower Mound, Texas