[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz digest, Vol 1 #287 - 24 msgs

DWSI@aol.com DWSI@aol.com
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 07:21:23 EDT

--part1_9.d6b7d3.2aea8333_boundary

In a message dated 10/25/2002 1:05:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:

> Steve Barbone wrote:
>
> >I think "America The Beautiful" should be our National Anthem. Or,
> >failing that, we should hold a national competition among Americans to
> >write an original score for Key's words . . .
>
> Ah me . . . for what it's worth the National Anthem is what it is and any
> attempt to change it at this point would only tick off large percentages of
>
> the population and whatever would be selected as a replacement melody would
>
> not be accepted by everyone who submitted a suggestion.
>
> Established themes (such as the anthem) take on a life of their own and
> will
> elicit an emotional reaction from most Americans regardless of the musical
> "worthiness" of the melody. Otherwise we wouldn't get so ticked off when
> somebody takes excessive liberties with it.
>
> Same thing with "Amazing Grace" -- just because it can be sung to the tune
> of the Gilligan's Island theme doesn't mean that it should be done!
>
> Respectfully submitted,
>
> Bill "Love That Anthem" Gunter
> jazzboard@hotmail.com

Dan Spink replies:

Bill has defined another dimension for evaluating our national Anthem, the
Star Spangled Banner, and perhaps an important one. When is music not really
music, but an event? Even a sacred event. I once asked Max Morath how he
could explain the loud racket of a typical rock concert musically and he
replied he couldn't. It isn't really music, it's more of a social event. A
Nirvana rock concert is a good example if you tolerate the noise level. Until
the thirties it was in fashion for conductors to "interpret" and alter the
performance of great classical symphonies until Arturo Toscanini came along
and set a new standard of playing it "straight" (exactly as written). I would
suggest that there is music that is more than simply music. It is a national
treasure of sorts, like the Constitution, or the Gettysburg Address. I
personally wouldn't try to improve on either.

Dan (piano fingers) Spink

--part1_9.d6b7d3.2aea8333_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 10/25/2002 1:05:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Steve Barbone wrote:<BR>
<BR>
&gt;I think "America The Beautiful" should be our National Anthem. Or,<BR>
&gt;failing that, we should hold a national competition among Americans to<BR>
&gt;write an original score for Key's words . . .<BR>
<BR>
Ah me . . . for what it's worth the National Anthem is what it is and any <BR>
attempt to change it at this point would only tick off large percentages of <BR>
the population and whatever would be selected as a replacement melody would <BR>
not be accepted by everyone who submitted a suggestion.<BR>
<BR>
Established themes (such as the anthem) take on a life of their own and will <BR>
elicit an emotional reaction from most Americans regardless of the musical <BR>
"worthiness" of the melody. Otherwise we wouldn't get so ticked off when <BR>
somebody takes excessive liberties with it.<BR>
<BR>
Same thing with "Amazing Grace" -- just because it can be sung to the tune <BR>
of the Gilligan's Island theme doesn't mean that it should be done!<BR>
<BR>
Respectfully submitted,<BR>
<BR>
Bill "Love That Anthem" Gunter<BR>
jazzboard@hotmail.com<BR>
<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
Dan Spink replies:<BR>
<BR>
Bill has defined another dimension for evaluating our national Anthem, the Star Spangled Banner, and perhaps an important one. When is music not really music, but an event? Even a sacred event. I once asked Max Morath how he could explain the loud racket of a typical rock concert musically and he replied he couldn't. It isn't really music, it's more of a social event. A Nirvana rock concert is a good example if you tolerate the noise level. Until the thirties it was in fashion for conductors to "interpret" and alter the performance of great classical symphonies until Arturo Toscanini came along and set a new standard of playing it "straight" (exactly as written). I would suggest that there is music that is more than simply music. It is a national treasure of sorts, like the Constitution, or the Gettysburg Address. I personally wouldn't try to improve on either.<BR>
<BR>
Dan (piano fingers) Spink <BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>