[Dixielandjazz] [TPIN] TPIN Remembrances

Bob Romans cellblk7@attbi.com
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 08:49:15 -0500

Hello, DJML'ERS,
This came on the TPIN, and I thought it was worth sharing with all of you!!
Bob Romans
Cell Block 7
Jazz Band
1617 Lakeshore Dr.,
Lodi, California, 95242
Phone.....209-368-3255
Cell...209-747-1148
Fax...209-368-3255
WebPages..click below
www.cellblockseven2002.net
>=iii=<0
-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Allen <fallen_trumpet@hotmail.com>
To: tpin@parnassus.dana.edu <tpin@parnassus.dana.edu>
Date: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 10:05 AM
Subject: [TPIN] TPIN Remembrances

TPIN-ers,

Many of us have posted fond remembrances of Tommy Loy this past week as we
continue to mourn our loss and celebrate his life.  As those attending
Tommy's memorial service were reminded, Tommy had some great "one-liners".
One story told at his memorial service... when younger, Tommy often climbed
onto a chair, table, bar, etc. while playing, never missing a beat.  Once,
his band was invited to play in a large personal home.  While playing in the
dining room, Tommy climbed onto the dining table... but then the table broke
and collapsed.  Tommy immediately said, "Quick, let's get out of here before
anyone notices"!   ;^)

What about other TPIN listmates that we have lost over the years?  At times
like these, I like to pause and remember...

For example, shortly after I discovered TPIN, I exchanged email from
time-to-time with Ted McIrvine.  I didn't get to know him very well and
never met him face-to-face, but he was always very patient with me and his
postings and playing advice always rang true.  If I recall correctly, he was
a college professor in the New York area.  Just another fond memory that
resulted from Michael Anderson's TPIN.  Perhaps someone that knew Ted well
could share some thoughts?

How about other former listmates?  Any fond remembrances and/or special
playing tips they taught?

Fred D. Allen
Plano, TX, USA