[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz digest, Vol 1 #282 - 13 msgs

DWSI@aol.com DWSI@aol.com
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:35:56 EDT

New Subject: MOMENTS WITH THE GREATS.

Maybe some DJML readers would like to offer their moments as well. Mine was
sitting in as piano man with Bob Scobey's band almost 40 years ago. I was
playing in a college dixieland band every Saturday. The guys had gone to see
Bob Scobey's group nearby and Bob, being the consummate gentleman, returned
to courtesy. When he got to our beer hall he informed us his piano player was
missing and asked to use ours. That was me. I leaped onto the stage and sat
down more than a little nervous. They called Panama in Eb as the first tune
and I did the best I could to keep up. I think Bob was kind to say, "good
job, kid." I realized how tight a really great group could be that day.
Unbelieveable. And they made it sound so easy. I've never forgotten that
moment. It is part of my self identity whenever I sit down to play the piano.

Dan Spink
dwsi@aol.com