[Dixielandjazz] Fw: [TPIN] Tommy Loy

Bob Romans cellblk7@attbi.com
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 18:39:58 -0500

Maybe Tommy's friends on the DJML will appreciate this too...it came over
the TPIN.
Bob Romans

From: Chuck Vavra <trumpet@northstargeo.com>
To: tpin@parnassus.dana.edu <tpin@parnassus.dana.edu>
Subject:  Re: [TPIN] Tommy Loy
Date: Friday, October 18, 2002 7:58 PM

We have lost a great player and model.

My first experience with Tommy was meeting him at a Dallas TPIN get
together at Slider and Blues in Plano Texas.  Not being a Dallas
Plowboys fan, I didn't know of his background with that organization.
Tommy came in pushing a walker (recently having leg surgery) complete
with bike-horn (courtesy of his daughter)).   I had just started
playing again after a 20 year sabbatical (college degrees, kids,
alternative career).  Tommy was so excited about me rediscovering the
trumpet.  We talked for hours.  About a year later, we were "slim"
for trumpets for a Plano Community Band gig (afternoon call time in
the park) and I called Tommy to see if he could help.  I told him
about what we were going to play - He said it was that it sounded
"different but fun" and agreed.  He showed up and, looking at the
book, commented that it had been a long time since he had have to
read music...   When we played.. well..  I wish MY reading were that
bad.. and talk about filling a horn with SOUND.  One of the tunes was
a big band medley with a substantial solo, which we gave to Tommy.
It was fun to see the people in the band turn to see where that SOUND
was coming from.  I have heard the stories about him playing in Texas
Stadium without a sound system.  I believe.  Above all Tommy was a
gentleman and a scholar - folks say that about lots of people but
Tommy was both.  He was always willing to help and share his love of
life and music.  I will miss his wit and knowledge.  TPIN has lost a
model for us all.

My condolences to the family and many friends of Tommy Loy.

Good bye friend - I will miss you.
--
Chuck Vavra
trumpet@northstargeo.com