[Dixielandjazz] Youth Concerts, Allan Vach é

Nancy Giffin nancyink@ulink.net
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:04:02 -0500

Hi Jim and Listmates,

First off, I hope those were not private e-mails from Allan that you posted;
that would not be proper "Netiquette" (I say this with my best prude face).
Secondly, I can tell you that Allan has the best intentions. I know, because
I was part of a conversation with Allan and two other musicians at Sweet &
Hot recently. All of us were sincerely concerned and deeply passionate about
preserving this music and bringing it to the younger generations. (The
discussion was so intense that I wasn't able to say much and let these guys
know how much experience I have in this area.)

Anyway, it made me very uncomfortable to see Allan have to defend himself to
you; he really shouldn't have to. Jim, you know that I absolutely respect
your intelligence and healthy skepticism, but I think perhaps you
misunderstood his intentions because the Internet can be so impersonal.
Right? How many times have you or I been misunderstood in this medium!?!
(And later have to apologize, whether we were guilty or not!)

I applaud Allan, both for initiating this idea and for letting the DJML know
about it. Networking is the way to make our dreams come true! I learned this
as a volunteer, bringing professional music and dance to our local school
children. By networking, I found others to help make my dream a reality.
(Currently, however, there is nothing happening in the county, that I'm
aware of, since I became a single parent and could no longer **VOLUNTEER**
for this program, nor for the Music Docent program I was initiating. $$$$$.)

Not everyone has time to volunteer, as you suggested, because they're out
earning a living. Many musicians have day gigs and can't afford time off
work. STJS has an outreach program in which the likes of ABE MOST and Tommy
Saunders have gone out to local schools prior to Jubilee, and I sure as hell
hope they've been PAID for their time and talent! I respect Mr. Vaché and
other professional musicians who wish to be paid for their time and talent
(which I know you don't have a problem with), but I honestly don't believe
he's guilty of any "ploy to drum up some paid gigs," as you say. Let's take
a deep breath and all work together on the same team, for the music's sake.

The DJML is a logical place to network, and I hope Allan finds some
listmates who will support him -- and others like him -- in some way.

Love and hugs,
Nancy