[Dixielandjazz] outlandish requests

Nancy Giffin nancyink@ulink.net
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:11:23 -0500

----------
From: "Ron L'Herault" <lherault@bu.edu>

"... The gaps in American education never cease to amaze me..."

Dear Mr. Beebe,

This reminded me to tell you that when I was teaching the school kids about
jazz on Wednesday, I saw on the wall... an 8 x 10 photo of ... [drum roll]
Stephen Foster!!!
BTW: Here's an excellent NPR site ("American Experience" feature) where
anyone can go to hear many of his songs, including:"Swanee River," "Jeanie
with the Light Brown Hair," "Oh! Susanna," and listmate Rocky Ball's
favorite, "My Old Kentuck(r)y Home."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/foster/sfeature/sf_foster.html

Love and hugs,
Nancy

P.S. To Ron: While playing my jazz CDs, I made sure all the kids knew what
instrument they were hearing during solos, and I showed them photos of what
each instrument looks like. I cannot guarantee, however, that they will not
end up waiting tables.