[Dixielandjazz] 7 & 13

w.p.mossel@wanadoo.nl w.p.mossel@wanadoo.nl
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 23:30:18 +0200

At 02/10/15 21:49,Bill Gunter wrote:
Listmates,
It has been writ:
 >Kash is absolutely right about this. In most European music the
 >emphasis is on the 1 & 3rd beat . . .
Unless you're in Athens and the accent there is on 7 and 13.
Cheers,
Bill "The Greek" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com

I guess Bill Gunter makes a mistake, it is not in Athens but in Bagdad as
the following story makes clear:
In New York City, an out of work jazz drummer named Ed was thinking of
throwing himself off a bridge. But then he ran into a former booking agent
who told him about the fantastic opportunities for drummers in Iraq. The
agent said "If you can find your way over there, just take my card and look
up the bandleader named Faisal--he's the large guy with the beard wearing
gold pajamas and shoes that curl up at the toes." Ed hit up everyone he
knew and borrowed enough to buy transport to Iraq.
It took several days to arrange for passport, visas, transportation into
Iraq and the shipping of his equipment, but he was finally on his way.
Ed arrived in Baghdad and immediately started searching for Faisal. He
found guys in pajamas of every color but gold. Finally, in a small
coffeehouse, he saw a huge man with a beard--wearing gold pajamas and shoes
that curled up at the toes! Ed approached him and asked if he was Faisal.
He was. Ed gave him the agent's card and Faisal's face brightened into a
huge smile.
"You're just in time--I need you for a gig tonight. Meet me at the market
near the mosque at 7:30 with your equipment."
"But," gasped Ed, "what about a rehearsal?"
"No time--don't worry." And with that, Faisal disappeared.
Ed arrived in the market at 7:00 to set up his gear. He introduced himself
to the other musicians, who were all playing instruments he had never seen
in his life. At 7:30 sharp, Faisal appeared and hopped on the bandstand,
his gold pajamas glittering in the twilight. Without a word to the
musicians, he lifted his arm for the downbeat.
"Wait." shouted Ed. "What are we playing?"
Faisal shot him a look of frustration and shouted back, "Fake it! Just give
me heavy afterbeats on 7 and 13."

Kind regards, Vriendelijke groet, Grusze
Wim Mossel

a.k.a. w.p.mossel@wanadoo.nl