[Dixielandjazz] Ray Conniff RIP

Jim Denham james@jiming.demon.co.uk
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 00:46:26 +0100

Dear Listmates,

No-one seems to have noted the recent passing of Ray Conniff - maybe because
his name is associated with lounge music rather than hot jazz.

But, as I am sure older members can confirm, Conniff was once a very good jazz
trombonist. He played with most of the great (white) big bands: Berigan,
Dorsey, Miller, Shaw, etc. He also played great dixieland trombone with Art
Hodes, Rod Kless, Max Kaminsky, Danny Alvin and Bob Haggart in 1944 on the "Art
Hodes'Chicagoans" sides.

According to the obit. I read in the (UK) "Guardian", on his last recording
session (dedicated to film music) a few years ago, the booked trombonist failed
to show, and Ray picked up a trombone and sat in for the recording.

He deserves to be remembered!

Yours in the lounge,

Jim Denham