[Dixielandjazz] Gm6/E and Em7b5

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 19:11:12 -0400

Pat Cooke wrote:   (polite snips)

"The Gm6, The C9(root omitted), and the Em7b5 are all fingered exactly
the same on a guitar.  They all contain the same notes." and later
wrote:

"The m7b5 designation is a later usage and it didn't appear in most fake
books until the latter part of the last century (1900's).  I had always
related the Gm6 and the C9, but it took a while to get used to the m7b5
designation.  Better get used to it, if you're going to be reading fake
books."

Thanks Pat, your post helps me understand what's going on a little
better. I do need to correct something I wrote, in a previous post
below.

"By the same token, I don't think I've ever seen the notation Gm6/E."

Let me correct that, I just saw it in "Just In Time" (Julie Styne, from
The Bells Are Ringing) in the next to the last measure. In the Real Jazz
Fake Book. As John Farrell indicated, probably because the song is in
Bb. Just proves one is never too old to learn something. ;-)

Thanks John and Pat.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS to Pat. I learned "Just In Time" several years ago by ear and our
guitarist calling out the chords. You and he are on the same wave
length, he always called out C9.