[Dixielandjazz] 2 books for OKOM newbies

David W. Littlefield dwlit@cpcug.org
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:34:45 -0400

Hi gang. Found a couple of introductory paperback books folks trying to get
into jazz and OKOM ought to know about:

1. "The NPR curious listener's guide to Jazz" by Loren Schoenberg. NY,
Perigee Books, 2002. 285p  $13.95

Comprehensive. Brief history; 25pp on the various kinds of jazz. 80pp on
key musicians; 50 exceptional performances 38p; 50 top jazz CDs; glossary;
annotated bibliography.
A quote: "If you really want to unlock the mysteries of Jazz...Go find
Louis Armstrong's recording of 'Potato Head Blues.' Listen for the trumpet
solo that follows the clarinet solo and listen to it over and over again.
When you feel that you really know it, sing along with the record. When you
internalize the rhythm and the shapes of those trumpet phrases, you will
come as close to an understanding of the essence of Jazz as you are even
likely to need."

As it happens, I recently spent a lot of time with "Potato head blues",
transcribing a lead sheet for it. I was using a box that slows it down
while retaining the pitch, and discovered how melodic that piece is. This
impression was confirmed when I played back the ENCORE sheet at slow speeds...

2. "The NPR curious listener's guide to popular standards" by Max Morath.
NY, Perigee Books, 2002. 235p. $13.95
Brief history, discussion of tune characteristics; the Songwriters 45p; the
Performers 45p; 100 standards; discography, glossary, annotated bibliography.
Virtually all of it covers the extended definition of OKOM.

I'll be adding these books to the bibliography on my personal website
http://cpcug.org/user/dwlit

--Sheik