[Dixielandjazz] Musician Quotes

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 14:02:01 -0400

Charlie Parker was the sounce of several funny quotes as follows:

Downbeat  Interview- 1949  He was asked by Michael Levin :"Suppose a guy
came up to us and said  "I've got 4 bucks and want to buy 3 Charlie
Parker records. Which ones should I buy?' What should we tell him?"
Replied Parker: "Tell him to keep his money."

Interviewed by Marshall Sterns in 1950, Parker says about his youth as
age 16 or so: "I figured I knew how to play. I'd learned the scale and
how to play two tunes in concert F. Honeysuckle Rose and the first 8
bars of Up A Lazy River. So I took my horn out to this joint - and they
started playing Body And Soul double time..So I go to playing
Honeysuckle Rose and, I mean, there ain't no form of conglomeration,
They laughed me right off the stand, they laughed so hard. I never
thought about that there were other keys, you know?

Interviewed by John Fitch in 1953: "It doesn't make any difference which
idiom it might be, Bebop, as you want to call it, Swing or Dixieland. If
it's good, it'll be heard.

Cheers,
Steve