[Dixielandjazz] Traveling Cases

BudTuba@aol.com BudTuba@aol.com
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:55:18 EDT

--part1_18d.fab12b7.2ad6eed6_boundary

In a message dated 9/14/02 10:49:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dhs@ev1.net
writes:

> Most tuba cases are not travel-worthy.  When I was traveling back and forth
> between Maryland and Texas in 2001, I had a tuba shipped down via air
> freight.  The case is very strong, I wrapped the tuba in sheet foam inside
> the case, and did not leave anything to bounce around and cause dents, such
> as a mouthpiece.  Then I put the case inside a cardboard packing case and
> surrounded that with packing material.  It traveled fine.

I took my tuba to Florida last winter.  The standard insurance is for about
$1500.  I asked for insurance to $3000 and it cost me about $20.  The
attendent asked me to open my case and take the horn out and shake it, etc.
Then it received its tag and went on along ahead of me.  When I got to Tampa,
my bags were jumbled in the meelay of the baggage belt.  While I waited for
mine to show up I looked over to the airline office to see my tuba case
arrive hand-carried via two attendents (forget the casters I mounted to the
case.)  Next time I fly, I'm going in a tuba case.

Bud Taylor
Smugtown Stompers
Rochester, NY
Traditional Jazz since 1958

--part1_18d.fab12b7.2ad6eed6_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff"><FONT  style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 9/14/02 10:49:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dhs@ev1.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Most tuba cases are not travel-worthy.&nbsp; When I was traveling back and forth<BR>
between Maryland and Texas in 2001, I had a tuba shipped down via air<BR>
freight.&nbsp; The case is very strong, I wrapped the tuba in sheet foam inside<BR>
the case, and did not leave anything to bounce around and cause dents, such<BR>
as a mouthpiece.&nbsp; Then I put the case inside a cardboard packing case and<BR>
surrounded that with packing material.&nbsp; It traveled fine.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
I took my tuba to Florida last winter.&nbsp; The standard insurance is for about $1500.&nbsp; I asked for insurance to $3000 and it cost me about $20.&nbsp; The attendent asked me to open my case and take the horn out and shake it, etc.&nbsp; Then it received its tag and went on along ahead of me.&nbsp; When I got to Tampa, my bags were jumbled in the meelay of the baggage belt.&nbsp; While I waited for mine to show up I looked over to the airline office to see my tuba case arrive hand-carried via <B>two</B> attendents (forget the casters I mounted to the case.)&nbsp; Next time I fly, <B>I'm</B> going in a tuba case.<BR>
<BR>
<P ALIGN=CENTER></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SCRIPT" FACE="Comic Sans MS" LANG="0">Bud Taylor<BR>
<B>Smugtown Stompers</B><BR>
Rochester, NY<BR>
Traditional Jazz since 1958</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</P></FONT></HTML>
--part1_18d.fab12b7.2ad6eed6_boundary--