[Dixielandjazz] Chords

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Wed, 09 Oct 2002 15:02:45 -0400

Dan Spink wrote: (polite snip)

"As to chord VOICING which is what we get into when we talk about adding
or
dropping tones, I have to say that the third has to be dropped sometimes
if
it conflicts with the 11th going augmented or diminished. After all, the
2 is
the same note as the 11 an octave apart. But the real question is what
sounds
rich and not jarring in the final voicing? There are many ways to play
the
different tones."

Yes, the 3rd is sometimes dropped. While we may have rules about it,
there seems to be no rule that does not have it's exceptions. Only thing
I would disagree with above is that the 2 is not the same note as the 11
and octave apart. (probably a typo on Dan's part) The 2nd is the same as
the 9th and octave apart. Modern pianists sometimes use the 2nd as a
sort of abbreviation for a 9th Chord, or because they like the way the
note sounds an octave lower.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. Rehearsed last night with Tex Wyndham and got a look at the original
sheet music for "Charleston" by the great James P. Johnson. Yep, it is a
Gm6 in the right hand with an E octave Root in the left hand. (Tune in
Bb). Even the printed 4 note Ukulele chord looked like a Gm6 but I
wouldn't swear to that as I didn't get a chance to analyze it. :-)