[Dixielandjazz] Speaking of Quotes

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 12:32:33 EDT

--part1_16e.153ac2f2.2ad5b421_boundary

In a message dated 10/9/02 10:23:36 AM Central Daylight Time,
charliehooks@earthlink.net writes:

> !"
>
>     But my own favorite Bud Herseth story (and I didn't see this, but Steve
> Jensen did and could barely repeat it from laughing) concerns the time
> when,
> during an especially quiet and moving passage, the entire orchestra down at
> ppp., Herseth's cup mute somehow fell to the floor and began to roll.  Now
> the stage at Orchestra Hall (as it was then called) slants a bit toward the
> audience, and the roll just kept on going, seeming to last forever.  When
> it
> finally stopped, Herseth got out of his seat and retrieved it, quietly
> returned to his chair, and carefully placed the offending mute on his
> DESKMATE'S stand.
>
>     Jensen said he heard at least one little old lady at intermission
> remarking how "Wasn't it nice of Mr. Herseth to go and get that mute for
> his
> friend...?"

   FOFLMAO

>     Jensen's own favorite was of his having encountered Herseth in a super
> market parking lot and, seeing his idol in the flesh and just HAVING to do
> SOMETHING to prolong the moment, called out foolishly, "Mr. Herseth!  Mr.
> Herseth!  I'm a trumpet player!"  And Bud, already pulling away in his car,
> called out the window, "Practice, my boy! Practice...!"
>
> I miss Steve Jensen.
> Charlie

   Yeah, I Miss Steve, too.  I will not forget that day we learned of his
untimely death.
    What a fine trumpet player and a great guy.  Charlie, you and I had a lot
of  great musical moments with Steve.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_16e.153ac2f2.2ad5b421_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 10/9/02 10:23:36 AM Central Daylight Time, charliehooks@earthlink.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">!" <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; But my own favorite Bud Herseth story (and I didn't see this, but Steve<BR>
Jensen did and could barely repeat it from laughing) concerns the time when,<BR>
during an especially quiet and moving passage, the entire orchestra down at<BR>
ppp., Herseth's cup mute somehow fell to the floor and began to roll.&nbsp; Now<BR>
the stage at Orchestra Hall (as it was then called) slants a bit toward the<BR>
audience, and the roll just kept on going, seeming to last forever.&nbsp; When it<BR>
finally stopped, Herseth got out of his seat and retrieved it, quietly<BR>
returned to his chair, and carefully placed the offending mute on his<BR>
DESKMATE'S stand.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Jensen said he heard at least one little old lady at intermission<BR>
remarking how "Wasn't it nice of Mr. Herseth to go and get that mute for his<BR>
friend...?"</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">&nbsp;&nbsp; FOFLMAO</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Jensen's own favorite was of his having encountered Herseth in a super<BR>
market parking lot and, seeing his idol in the flesh and just HAVING to do<BR>
SOMETHING to prolong the moment, called out foolishly, "Mr. Herseth!&nbsp; Mr.<BR>
Herseth!&nbsp; I'm a trumpet player!"&nbsp; And Bud, already pulling away in his car,<BR>
called out the window, "Practice, my boy! Practice...!"<BR>
<BR>
I miss Steve Jensen.<BR>
Charlie</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Yeah, I Miss Steve, too.&nbsp; I will not forget that day we learned of his untimely death.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; What a fine trumpet player and a great guy.&nbsp; Charlie, you and I had a lot of&nbsp; great musical moments with Steve.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_16e.153ac2f2.2ad5b421_boundary--