[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz digest, Vol 1 #262 - 16 msgs

DWSI@aol.com DWSI@aol.com
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 08:11:23 EDT

--part1_2d.24ae7a7c.2ad576eb_boundary

Dan Spink wrote:
Do we really need that kind of analysis? I think Dixieland and early Jazz was
loved because it was pure, heartfelt, fun and open music. No hiding behind
funny dissonance's."

Paul Edgerton then wrote:
I say we do. Do any of you listen to recordings and then try to copy what you
hear? That's a kind of analysis. Do you ever try to play a familiar song in a
different key? That requires understanding the function of the chords and
their relationship to the melody notes. Both of these things are a lot easier
to do if you the time to analyze this stuff.

Of course when you're playing, you concentrate on the feeling, but it always
helps to have a big harmonic vocabulary. That's one of the things that
separate the great players from the merely pedestrian.

I'm not specifically picking on Dan, but it really bugs me when I hear people
suggesting that analysis has nothing to do performing jazz. That is simply
wrong. I guarantee that the players you all admire know this stuff, in their
ears and fingers if not in their words. All of the nomenclature and "rules"
are there to simplify understanding and talking about the music. The music
comes first, then the analysis. Capische?

Paul Edgerton

Now Dan Spink writes back:

Paul, I don't disagree with you, but I prefer a slightly different
perspective on chords.
The chord's function is determined by both the ROOT relationship in the key
(as you indicated with your C root in the key of F example) and by chord TYPE
which is defined by the kind of thirds added to the root.

As to chord VOICING which is what we get into when we talk about adding or
dropping tones, I have to say that the third has to be dropped sometimes if
it conflicts with the 11th going augmented or diminished. After all, the 2 is
the same note as the 11 an octave apart. But the real question is what sounds
rich and not jarring in the final voicing? There are many ways to play the
different tones.

You got me to drag out my old Popular and Jazz Harmony text by Daniel A.
Ricigliano (a friend of mine too). I thought you might find this summary
interesting.
(Quote)
The major thirteenth is usually added to the dominant seventh chord, placed a
ninth above the fifih of the chord and supported by the seventh and ninth,
and if the thirteenth includes an augmented or perfect eleventh. BUT, if the
seventh and ninth are unaltered, they may be omitted. If both are omitted you
then have a triad with a 13th which is really just a sixth. Right?

If I see a 13th chord symbol on a lead sheet I rarely assume it ALSO contains
the ninth or 11th as well, although I might try it for sound. In practice
it's often just another way of saying add a sixth, higher up.

In reality, there is no good way to indicate voicing, beyond writing it out.
The common attempt made is to show a bass note indicated for the chord; e.g.,
Gmaj7 with B in the bass. BUT when you do take voicing into account, the
whole picture changes sometimes. It is then that you decide to sometimes drop
certain intervals that you don't need or want in the sound, despite what the
text books says about the rules of chord making. In this regard, I was always
impressed with Scott Joplin's indication of a dominant seventh chord in the
Entertainer, using only two notes. I tried playing it with more notes and
fewer notes and it never sounded the same. He knew what he was doing.

Sorry if I'm repeating some of the newsletters of the past with my comments.
My excuse is I'm the new kid on the block (although I don't look that new).

Finally, when I ask, "do we need this kind of analysis?" I'm not against
analysis, I just think it should be to understand what happened rather than
to dictate rules of what we should play. I also hesitate getting into all the
analysis stuff because I've found (by playing Dixieland mostly) that any song
can be made to sound okay in any style mainly by playing around with chords.
This often leads to "modernizing" some of the old great songs to their
distinct disadvantage (in my opinion); e.g., I just don't want to hear Bill
Bailey played as Bop with flatted fifths, or the  12th Street Rag played as
hip hop. I've heard some official jazz teachers call my kind of music (rag
and Dixie) boring while praising the steady 4 - 4 beat of the modern stuff
which to me is as exciting as listening to water dripping.

Anyway,  I think we'll agree to most of what we're talking about. The
differences are allowed to live on, I hope in more and better individuality
of expression.

All the best,

Dan (piano fingers) Spink

For one thing, I know we would agree that popular music sheets (and fake
sheets) are horrible at defining harmony correctly. The publishers are always
trying to make it look easy to play, and in so doing destroy much of the
interesting subtly.

The

--part1_2d.24ae7a7c.2ad576eb_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Dan Spink wrote:<BR>
Do we really need that kind of analysis? I think Dixieland and early Jazz was loved because it was pure, heartfelt, fun and open music. No hiding behind funny dissonance's."</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BR>
Paul Edgerton then wrote:<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">I say we do. Do any of you listen to recordings and then try to copy what you hear? That's a kind of analysis. Do you ever try to play a familiar song in a different key? That requires understanding the function of the chords and their relationship to the melody notes. Both of these things are a lot easier to do if you the time to analyze this stuff.</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Of course when you're playing, you concentrate on the feeling, but it always helps to have a big harmonic vocabulary. That's one of the things that separate the great players from the merely pedestrian.</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">I'm not specifically picking on Dan, but it really bugs me when I hear people suggesting that analysis has nothing to do performing jazz. That is simply wrong. I guarantee that the players you all admire know this stuff, in their ears and fingers if not in their words. All of the nomenclature and "rules" are there to simplify understanding and talking about the music. The music comes first, then the analysis. Capische?</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Paul Edgerton</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"> <BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Now Dan Spink writes back:<BR>
<BR>
Paul, I don't disagree with you, but I prefer a slightly different perspective on chords.<BR>
The chord's function is determined by both the ROOT relationship in the key (as you indicated with your C root in the key of F example) and by chord TYPE which is defined by the kind of thirds added to the root.<BR>
<BR>
As to chord VOICING which is what we get into when we talk about adding or dropping tones, I have to say that the third has to be dropped sometimes if it conflicts with the 11th going augmented or diminished. After all, the 2 is the same note as the 11 an octave apart. But the real question is what sounds rich and not jarring in the final voicing? There are many ways to play the different tones. <BR>
<BR>
You got me to drag out my old <U>Popular and Jazz Harmony</U> text by Daniel A. Ricigliano (a friend of mine too). I thought you might find this summary interesting.<BR>
(Quote) <BR>
The major thirteenth is usually added to the dominant seventh chord, placed a ninth above the fifih of the chord and supported by the seventh and ninth, and if the thirteenth includes an augmented or perfect eleventh. BUT, if the seventh and ninth are unaltered, they may be omitted. If both are omitted you then have a triad with a 13th which is really just a sixth. Right?<BR>
<BR>
If I see a 13th chord symbol on a lead sheet I rarely assume it ALSO contains the ninth or 11th as well, although I might try it for sound. In practice it's often just another way of saying add a sixth, higher up. <BR>
<BR>
In reality, there is no good way to indicate voicing, beyond writing it out. The common attempt made is to show a bass note indicated for the chord; e.g., Gmaj7 with B in the bass. BUT when you do take voicing into account, the whole picture changes sometimes. It is then that you decide to sometimes drop certain intervals that you don't need or want in the sound, despite what the text books says about the rules of chord making. In this regard, I was always impressed with Scott Joplin's indication of a dominant seventh chord in the Entertainer, using only two notes. I tried playing it with more notes and fewer notes and it never sounded the same. He knew what he was doing.<BR>
<BR>
Sorry if I'm repeating some of the newsletters of the past with my comments. My excuse is I'm the new kid on the block (although I don't look that new). <BR>
<BR>
Finally, when I ask, "do we need this kind of analysis?" I'm not against analysis, I just think it should be to understand what happened rather than to dictate rules of what we should play. I also hesitate getting into all the analysis stuff because I've found (by playing Dixieland mostly) that any song can be made to sound okay in any style mainly by playing around with chords. This often leads to "modernizing" some of the old great songs to their distinct disadvantage (in my opinion); e.g., I just don't want to hear Bill Bailey played as Bop with flatted fifths, or the&nbsp; 12th Street Rag played as hip hop. I've heard some official jazz teachers call my kind of music (rag and Dixie) boring while praising the steady 4 - 4 beat of the modern stuff which to me is as exciting as listening to water dripping.<BR>
<BR>
Anyway,&nbsp; I think we'll agree to most of what we're talking about. The differences are allowed to live on, I hope in more and better individuality of expression. <BR>
<BR>
All the best,<BR>
<BR>
Dan (piano fingers) Spink<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
For one thing, I know we would agree that popular music sheets (and fake sheets) are horrible at defining harmony correctly. The publishers are always trying to make it look easy to play, and in so doing destroy much of the interesting subtly.<BR>
 <BR>
The <BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_2d.24ae7a7c.2ad576eb_boundary--