[Dixielandjazz] Playing too long

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Sun, 06 Oct 2002 04:31:18 +0000

Re:

> > I think it is very sad for an accomplished musician to hang on long
> > after they should have quit playing.   It is better for them to "retire"
> > than not be able to play up to their standard.

I understand the sentiment but agree only partially. Not to disparage one's
musicianship . . . that's important! . . . but there comes a time when one
really needs more than the simple ability to honk on his ax. One needs to be
an entertainer.

A good entertainer - one with a sense of humor - even though he/she may be
well past his or her musical zenith and whose chops are pretty well decayed
can still be entertaining. A GOOD entertainer can make farting noises with
his trombone all night and still entertain the crowd.

Please don't enterpret this to mean that I think musicianship is unimportant
- that's not true. I'm merely saying the good entertainer can keep on
performing well past his or her prime and fully entertain his audience.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Chops? What Chops?" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com