[Dixielandjazz] Chord question

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Sat, 05 Oct 2002 21:16:56 +0000

Listmates:

Regarding the chord in the 12th measure of Charleston, Steve Barbone asked
what the average chord was.

It took a moment or two to caluclate because I counted up 35 chord changes
in the chorus. The value of the chords came to one hundred eleven (111).
Doing the math revealed the number three (3). That, in the key of Bb would
be a "D" - The Average Chord is a "D" chord.

Most of us apparently feel that the actual chord should be a G7 (or in John
Farrell's case Gm6). The notes in a G chord are, basically, GBD. The notes
in a D chord are, basically, DF#A. The song is in the key of Bb and the
notes in a Bb chord are BDF. The perceptive among you will notice the only
note common to all of these chords is "D"!!! You can see how powerful the
Gunter/Church chord averaging system is and what a boon is it to banjo
players and other band members who play chords (guitar, lute, harpsichord,
pianoforte, ukulele, mandolin, accordian, harmonica, celeste and
concertina).

Please feel free to call upon me whenever you have these complicated musical
theory questions and you want an intelligent answer.

Cheers,

Bill "Just An Average Guy" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com