[Dixielandjazz] Chord Averaging Question

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Sat, 05 Oct 2002 15:56:24 +0000

Hello Listmates,

Dale Jones asked:

>I am going to be with a bunch of Banjo players this afternoon.  Don't feel
>sorry for me because I really like all the guys.  Any way, I missed out on
>just how Chord averaging is done and would like to share it with them.
>Would
>the person that knows the formula please put the formula back on

In the interest of advancing new techniques in musical accompaniment I am
herewith reposting my original dissertation on chord production.

-----> begin

CHORD AVERAGING

A Wonderful New Music Method
By Bill Gunter (with help from Gary Church)

Good news to you struggling musicians out there who can never remember what
chord comes next in any particular progression. Now we have developed and
are proud to introduce “Chord Averaging,” a new method guaranteed to make
anyone a competent player in any jazz group.

Basically, the system works this way:

Suppose you are playing a 12 bar blues (I’m only using this as an example)
and the chord progression is 1, 4, 1, 5, 1.

The musician would simply add up the value of the chords (in this example
the total would be 12). You then divide by the number of chords in the
progression (in this case the number would be 5). Dividing the total (12) by
the number of chords (5) and you get 2.4 (12 ÷ 5 = 2.4.)!

Round off to the nearest half and you get 2.5 which, for example, in the key
of C would be D# (or you could play Eb if you so chose). That is the average
chord and, as such, would be the only chord necessary throughout the entire
performance of the piece. Therefore you could show your banjo player the
fingering for a D# chord and he would be set for the whole tune!

I suggest from now on, all charts be printed to show not only the key and
the chord progression, but the Average Chord as well. For example, the lead
sheet for “Bill Bailey” might list the song in the key of F. However, after
the chords are averaged, using the method outlined above, the lead sheet
sheet should also contain the notation “Avg.Chord = A.”

I know, I know - you are all wondering what you can do for me having given
you a wonderful new chord progression method but, trust me, I want nothing
in return . . . A job well done is thanks enough for me.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill “Musical Arithmeticker” Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com