[Dixielandjazz] Chord Averaging and more (or less)

Bigbuttbnd@aol.com Bigbuttbnd@aol.com
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 09:18:36 EDT

I KNEW IT! Chord Averaging! Of course!

Years ago when I used to make the banjo convention circuit I kept hearing
this new approach to banjo accompaniment but couldn't figure it out. I'd
wander into a ballroom filled with 30-50 banjo players all tearing through
Margie or Avalon. I'd sit down on one side of the room and ask my new seat
friend, "What tune? What key?" and he'd say something like "Margie, in F."
I'd play Margie in F but it just didn't seem right. Maybe I didn't know
Margie as well as I thought. So, after 20 or so choruses I'd move to the
other side of the group and ask my new neighbor "What tune? What key?" and
he'd say "Avalon in Eb."

"When did you guys switch to Avalon? I thought it was Margie."

"Nah, we been playing Avalon all night."

"In Eb?"

"Well... some of the guys say it's Eb... I've been playing this D chord
mostly and it seems to fit everywhere."

Not only had these guys mastered chord averaging but they had moved to a
higher level of complexity... Tune Averaging!

Rocky Ball
Atlanta