[Dixielandjazz] Did Jazz musicians start Rock and Roll?

Tony Davis tony@tony-davis.co.uk
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 12:06:24 +0100

Ivor Jones (glad to see you're still with us, Ivor!) wrote:

> I don't expect this to be significant but in the early '60's when I was
> playing at Ken Colyers Club in Soho, two regulars were Mick Jagger and
Brian
> Jones of the 'Stones. So they, at least were into 'Trad'.

I mentioned Bill Niles' Delta Jazz Band in a post the other day.  When doing
a Google search for the band the only reference I found was on a German site
devoted to the Rolling Stones.  The entry on Brian Jones says that in 1958
he played "als Saxophonist" with various bands at a jazz club in Cheltenham,
"unter anderem in Bill Niles Delta Jazz Band."  This band also nurtured the
talents of the young Duncan Swift, who fortunately took a very different
path from Jones.

--
Tony Davis
Trumpet/Cornet