[Dixielandjazz] Netflix, Benny Goodman and Anne-Sophie Mutter

Creole Dixieland Jazz Band Creole Dixieland Jazz Band" <dixielandjazz@myexcel.com
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 17:40:35 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: <JimDBB@aol.com>
To: <dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 1:09 PM
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Netflix, Benny Goodman and Anne-Sophie Mutter

> I find that DVDs are somewhat
> handier than tapes but the blather that they are better picture and sound
> than tapes is pure bull.

Just for the record, Jim, the hype about the superior quality of DVDs over
VHS comes from watching DVDs as they were intended to be viewed -- played on
a good, progressive scan DVD player and viewed on a high definition TV or
"monitor" as many of the TVs are called. It is only then that you see the
phenomenal (and it is phenomenal) difference in video quality. I watched the
whole Ken Burns Jazz series when it was aired and then bought the DVD set
even though, at the time, I didn't own a DVD player just because I wanted a
record of that extensive look into jazz history. Since then, I've acquired a
DVD player and a high definition TV. It is, quite literally, a difference
you have to see to believe. Louis never looked or sounded better.  :-)

Dave
"It's a treat to beat your feet."
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band
Dave Gravatt