[Dixielandjazz] Who was Glenn Gould

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Wed, 02 Oct 2002 16:11:09 -0400

Charlie Hooks mentioned that he had a Gould recording of the Goldberg
variations. Interestingly enough, Gould recorded the variations twice.
Once as a young man and then again many years later. They are quite
different in interpretation. Kind of like a jazz man changing the way he
plays each time. Perhaps also, they show his maturation as an artist and
interpreter of Bach.

My parents were enamored of Glenn Gould very early in his career and
held him up to me as someone to emulate when I was studying piano. He
was just a year older, but far ahead of whatever I could hope to be in
my wildest dreams. A real genius in every sense of the word. They were
horrified as I pursued jazz, from 1950 on, ever hoping that I would
follow a classical music career path.

Even after my switch to jazz clarinet he was often in the conversation
among our family members. (mother and sister were classically trained
pianists.) We went to his NYC debut in 1955. He had a very interesting
posture when playing as he became totally absorbed by the music. Kind of
like "play like no one is watching". Head almost on the keyboard etc.,
sometimes legs crossed etc. He reminded me of Monk in approach to music,
to the piano and to life itself. As a classical pianist, he was one who
had both technical facility and soul. And he lived his life on HIS
terms.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone