[Dixielandjazz] The Dirty Dozen

Jerry Gordon jerrygordon@juno.com
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 18:29:12 -0400

Interesting, Bill. Maybe it's correct, but here's what Robert
Hendrickson's "Encyclopedia of Word & Phrase Origins" has to say:

"The art of hurling invective at one's enemies is an ancient one and
American slaves probably brought the verbal exchange called "the dozens"
or "dirty dozens" with them from Africa, basing it on the Tuareg and
Galla game of two opponents cursing one another until one man lost his
temper and began fighting with his hands instead of his mouth; he was
considered the loser. Alive and thriving today among blacks, the game
takes its name not from dozen, "twelve," but probably from the
Americanism 'bulldoze,' which meant "to bullwhip someone," especially a
slave, the insults linked to whip lashes." There's then a reference
to'bulldozer," with further entries.

Jerry "just keeping an eye on the etymology" Gordon, Troy, NY
Web master for http://www.timesunion.com/communities/jazz