[Dixielandjazz] Slavery - blues

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Tue, 01 Oct 2002 16:02:17 +0000

Listmates,

The discussion on slavery in the U.S. is NOT a proper topic for discussion
on the DJML unless we include the obvious jazz dimension (ie - jazz/blues
roots).

As far as Lincoln is concerned, his place in the pantheon of America's
greatest leaders is firmly established. Regardless of interpretations of
Lincoln's motives and attitudes concerning blacks and given the fact the
Emancipation Proclamation was limited to certain slaveholding states, it is
still indisputable that Lincoln is the the one who "put it all on the line"
to save the union and in doing so, ended slavery as an institution in
America for all time!

Racism? Bigotry? Stereotypical attitudes toward minorities? Haven't these
human frailties been with humankind since (and before) the dawn of
civilization? It seems quite probable to me that these attitudes among our
fellow citizens are ubiquitious and will be around as long as there are at
least three people in the world (two to gang up against the third). It's
absurd to attribute these xenophobic behavior patterns to the guiding
concepts of America's tenets as expressed in the Declaration of Independence
and the Constitution. Racism in the U.S. (indeed anywhere) is the result of
individual human frailties and is not to be found in the perfection of our
founding documents.

Jazz/Blues/Folk idioms are creative expressions which easily arise in areas
of conflict and social trauma. These are escape mechanisms to overcome
adversities and find joy and fulfillment in our lives.

Finally, if humans had somehow lived together without strife and bitterness
since the evolution of our species there would be no such thing as the
blues.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Let's all love one another . . . yeah, right" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com