[Dixielandjazz] Re: When I'm 64

Tony Davis tony@tony-davis.co.uk
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 10:54:40 +0100

Bob Williams, TWMMM, wrote regarding this number:

> It's actually a very nice tune if you've got two clarineticists.

I spent hours (well, several seconds) trying to extract the hidden meaning
from that intriguing word "clarineticists".  I was sure there must be some
sort of pun or musical/literary allusion in there somewhere, since TWMMM's
posts to this list demonstrate that he is widely read and adept in the
niceties of linguistic usage.  But I finally gave up and decided that it
must be a typo.

On the subject of Beatles tunes and their suitability for inclusion in OKOM,
Judy Eames (who is temporarily unable to write herself since I dropped her
computer) tells me that "The Fool On The Hill" makes a good jazz number -
apparently the trombonist in Bill Niles' Delta Jazz Band used to play it as
one of his features.

While I'm on, I'd like to add my voice to the expressions of regret at the
imminent demise of the WNJB.  I count myself fortunate to have heard them
live at Sacramento
(in the last century) and again at San Diego a couple of years back, and I
shall follow their progress as individuals with interest.

--
Tony Davis
Trumpet/Cornet