[Dixielandjazz] Try Snopes

lswain@penrose.com lswain@penrose.com
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 20:12:50 -0500

> Dear Listers:
>
> I noted the comments about the virus hoax, and attempts to validate it
> one way or another.  An easy way to check out odd bits and pieces that
> seem too good (or too something) to be true is to go to
> www.snopes.com.  Snopes checks out urban legends, and validates some
> and debunks the rest.

I find that an even better way to check out things like this before
forwarding them willy-nilly is to use www.google.com and use, in this
instance, the suspect file name as the search term.

I just did that, and the first Web site listed in the matches for the
search term JDBGMGR.EXE (there were about 15,000) is the Symantec
page entitled

  Symantec Security Response - Jdbgmgr.exe file hoax

All the best,

Larry Swain

L. R. Swain
Penrose, Inc.