[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz digest, Vol 1 #345 - 23 msgs

DWSI@aol.com DWSI@aol.com
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 06:59:52 EST

--part1_12a.1c05d367.2b175f38_boundary

In a message dated 11/28/2002 3:35:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:

>  just found out that my computer was infected with a new virus that appe=
> ars
> as jbdgmgr.exe and has a teddy bear icon. Neither McAffee nor Virus Scan
> protects against it. It might be harmless, I don't know but as far as I a=
> informed, it just sits in your hard drive(s) for 14 days then activates
> itself. Please, do the following:
>
> 1. Go to the Start menu and with Search find jbdgmgr.exe by typing it int=
> the appropriate box. Search must include ALL your hard drives.
>
> 2. As the result is displayed you'll most probably see one or more files
> with this name and the teddy bear icon. RIGHT click on them with your mou=
> se
> and choose 'delete'. Do not open the files!!!
>
> 3. Go to the Recycle Bin and do the same, ie. delete the files without
> opening them. (Never left click as it might open it - unless, you are lef=
> handed and your mouse is set the other way around.)
>
> 4. After this is done, please, forward this message to everyone in your
> address book as this lovely teddy bear automatically infects every addres=
> that you have in your register. (Only if you already had this virus but a=
> s I
> found it in my computer - actually on two drives - I suppose, you have it=
> ,
> too.) Of course, you can leave out the Hungarian part of the message.
>
> Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience. (That was just a pre-Xmas present
> for me, too.) Everbest,
>
> Tamas

Dan Spink replies:

OH NO, NOT THIS ONE GOING AROUND AGAIN! This is a total hoax. It first went
around about 8 months ago and just recently got kicked around again. PLEASE
go directly to www.symantec.com (Norton Anti-virus site) and do a search if
you have any doubts about a virus. This will save you big problems and
looking very foolish!

Dan (piano fingers) Spink

--part1_12a.1c05d367.2b175f38_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 11/28/2002 3:35:44 AM Eastern Standard Time, dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"> just found out that my computer was infected with a new virus that appe=<BR>
ars<BR>
as jbdgmgr.exe and has a teddy bear icon. Neither McAffee nor Virus Scan<BR>
protects against it. It might be harmless, I don't know but as far as I a=<BR>
m<BR>
informed, it just sits in your hard drive(s) for 14 days then activates<BR>
itself. Please, do the following:<BR>
<BR>
1. Go to the Start menu and with Search find jbdgmgr.exe by typing it int=<BR>
o<BR>
the appropriate box. Search must include ALL your hard drives.<BR>
<BR>
2. As the result is displayed you'll most probably see one or more files<BR>
with this name and the teddy bear icon. RIGHT click on them with your mou=<BR>
se<BR>
and choose 'delete'. Do not open the files!!!<BR>
<BR>
3. Go to the Recycle Bin and do the same, ie. delete the files without<BR>
opening them. (Never left click as it might open it - unless, you are lef=<BR>
t<BR>
handed and your mouse is set the other way around.)<BR>
<BR>
4. After this is done, please, forward this message to everyone in your<BR>
address book as this lovely teddy bear automatically infects every addres=<BR>
s<BR>
that you have in your register. (Only if you already had this virus but a=<BR>
s I<BR>
found it in my computer - actually on two drives - I suppose, you have it=<BR>
,<BR>
too.) Of course, you can leave out the Hungarian part of the message.<BR>
<BR>
Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience. (That was just a pre-Xmas present<BR>
for me, too.) Everbest,<BR>
<BR>
Tamas<BR>
<BR>
Dan Spink replies:<BR>
<BR>
OH NO, NOT THIS ONE GOING AROUND AGAIN! This is a total hoax. It first went around about 8 months ago and just recently got kicked around again. PLEASE go directly to <U>www.symantec.com</U> (Norton Anti-virus site) and do a search if you have any doubts about a virus. This will save you big problems and looking very foolish!<BR>
<BR>
Dan (piano fingers) Spink</FONT></HTML>

--part1_12a.1c05d367.2b175f38_boundary--