[Dixielandjazz] Re: Favorite Tuba-Solo

paolo d'amore flicorno@tiscali.it
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:52:12 +0100

hey listmates,
my mailbox has lost some messages, or nobody of you mentioned joe tarto (my
favourite OKOM tuba player?)
and, do you think that Cyrus St. Clair on "cushion foot stomp" is "soloing"?
some years ago i was "forced" by the band leader to play it as a part of an
"arranged version" of that beatiful song.

paolo"tubas do it better" d'amore
rome
italy

p.s.: what is "K.I.S.S. formula"?

  My favourite - Cyrus St Clair playing tuba with the Clarence Williams
band.
  The tune  - "Cushion Foot Stomp".  He solos with beautiful, full-blooded,
  immaculately timed notes on his tuba, using the K.I.S.S. formula right
  through.  His chorus balances the number perfectly.  If you took out his
  contribution, the number would be totally devalued!  (IMHO)
  Brian Towers,