[Dixielandjazz] Dick Oakley

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 22:28:38 -0600

Folks--
     Dan here again, ready to leap out once more clothed in yet
another gleaming suit of ignorance.  To (or perhaps, half) wit:
     Just bought a CD that has both Bobby Hackett's and Jack
Teagarden's groups on it, from live concerts in 1957 and 1958.
Teagarden has a trumpet player with him that i like a lot, named Dick
Oakley, who reminds me at times of either Don Goldie or Dick
Cathcart, but has plenty of his own originality.  Great stuff.
     So how many 'Oakley's are out there?  Bill, Leon, and now Dick;
related?  Casual searching on the web reveals that Dick Oakley played
with the Salt City (Five and/or Six), and once with Dave Remington.
Any other bands he was with?
     Thanks.

     Dan

P. S. The Bobby Hackett Sextet has Dick Cary on piano/alto horn, plus
John Dengler playing wonderful tuba.  Plus they are the only OKOM
band i know of to play the Thelonious Monk piece, "Off-Minor" (which
is also the name of the CD).
--
**  Dan Augustine    Austin, Texas   ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu     **
**    "Sometimes when reading Goethe I have a paralyzing suspicion    **