[Dixielandjazz] 76 trombones

James Kashishian kash@ran.es
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 13:29:33 +0100

To: Bill Horton; DJML
Subject: RE: [Dixielandjazz] 76 trombones

Talking about bands. In 1954 I did the pre-game and half-time announcing
for
the USC Trojan Band in the LA Coliseum. That  year we went to the Rose
Bowl
in Pasadena to play the Big 10 Champion, Ohio State.

Brings back memories!  While at High School in Long Beach, I was scouted
by the Trojan Band who were lacking in trombonists for the Rose Bowl.
Was given a (brown?) sports jacket with a band badge on the chest, an
(orange?) tie & slacks, which all seemed very grown up for a 16 yr old
used to the normal frilly band uniforms.  One of the songs we played was
Hernando's Hideaway....also strange for a more formally bred marching
band member used to Sousa marches, etc.  There was a little dance with
the song that we used while marching down the street.  I can still do
the dance!   Also, recall marching into the L.A. Coliseum with the same
band, but don't remember the occasion.