[Dixielandjazz] Hope for the future

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 18:48:38 -0500

Tony Davis wrote (about a young audience) from the UK: (polite snip)

"This follows a gig I did three weeks ago at a pub in Bristol where the
audience was mostly young people, presumably students. What's more, they
were really listening, some of them standing close to the band,
obviously *feeling* the music and showing their appreciation by their
enthusiastic
applause. It was like going back in time about 45 years."

Listmates & Tony:

Hear hear. It's the same with Barbone Street here in Philadelphia USA.
Out of our yearly total of 160 gigs, we do more than 60 Dixieland gigs a
year strictly for "young" audiences, (21 to 35 years old.). Including 2
this month, for students at the University of Pennsylvania whose age
range is 18 to 25 years old. Nothing better for the ego than having an
under 30 year old come up to a 70 year old jazz muso and say "Man, you
guys are awesome." Or being wildly cheered by 200 people under 30 at a
club date.

Musical Motto: "Nice Work If You Can Get It."  (And You Can Get it If
You Try.)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. For jpegs of some of our young fans, write me off list