[Dixielandjazz] Morton - LoC Rounder CD set

Mike Meddings mike@monrovia.screaming.net
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 08:24:35 -0000

Hello all,

As you may know, the current availability of the "complete" Jelly Roll
Morton LoC recordings is in a bit of a mess.

Missing from the Rounder CD set is probably one of the most important
pieces of music of the whole of Morton's LoC recordings - "LA PALOMA"

Also, the list of tunes on the Rounder CDs is not absolutely correct and I
keep amending the booklets in my CDs as I find the errors listed as
follows:

Rounder 1091: track 27. "Strutters' Ball" should read:
Disc 1651A, excerpt

Rounder 1092: track 11. "C. C. Rider" should read:
Disc 1662A

Rounder 1093: track 1. "The Murder Ballad" should read:
"I know you've got my man..."

Rounder 1093: track 3. "The Murder Ballad" should read:
"She got in the jailhouse..."

Rounder 1094: track 5. "Creepy Feeling" 1682A should account for:
"La Paloma."

Rounder 1094: track 9. "Can-Can" should read:
1684B1

Rounder 1094: track 10. "If You Don't Shake" should read:
1684B2

If you have the John R. T. Davies opus, either the Swaggie or Classic Jazz
Masters LPs, or the Riverside LPs (all now long out of print) + the 4
Rounder CDs, then you are missing only part of the December 1938 spoken
recordings of the LoC, which to this day remain unissued.

Sadly, a whole generation of Morton devotees have missed out on the
dialogue, which form such an important part of these historic recordings.

For further detailed information see:

http://www.doctorjazz.freeserve.co.uk/page22.html

Musically yours

Mike