[Dixielandjazz] Re:Jeep was Rabbit was Johnny Hodges was Bird

David Palmquist davidpalmquist@dccnet.com
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 09:41:11 -0800

It's convoluted.  You will remember the announcement a week or two ago that
the American army now allows a recording to be played instead of Reveille
since they don't have many buglers today.

While en route to the Pentagon in a HumVee, the commanding general of the
music corps was musing about what recordings to play, and he heard his
driver humming one of Charlie Parker's solos.  He insisted from then on
that all his drivers him something by Parker, and they all started to call
his vehicle the Hummer.

There's another theory.  It's a big, awkward vehicle, hard to park, so they
nicknamed it Hardparker.  Since the tires are all-seasons, they hum, so the
name became Humming Parker.  But people being people, that became Humming
Bird, which eventually got shortened to Hummer.  They probably would have
shortened to Bird instead, but they didn't want to be thought of as
admiring the Air Force.

(And if anyone thinks I'm going to sign my name to this, they're nuts.)