[Dixielandjazz] Re: the best solo in jazz

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 17:41:44 +1100

Dear David,
EVERYTHING on your list is OK with me.
Kind regards,
Bill.

>1. Adelaide Hall, vocal, Creole Love Call, 1927-Oct 26.
>2. Gene Krupa, drums, SIng Sing Sing, with the Benny Goodman band, January
>1938 (Carnegie Hall)
>3. Rex Stewart, trumpet or cornet, Slap Happy, 1938,
>4. Rex Stewart, trumpet or cornet, Menelik the Lion, 1938
>5. Jabbo Smith, Black and Tan Fantasie, with the Ellington orchestra (I
>think this was 1927 or 1928)
>6. Bubber Miley, Black and Tan Fantasie, with the Ellington orchestra
>(October 1928)
>7. Adelaide Hall, vocal, Blues I Love to Sing, with the Ellington
>orchestra, 1927-Oct 26  - there's some sweet soprano sax work on this one,
>which I think is by Toby Hardwicke

PS: The Jabbo Smith (with Ellington), Black and Tan Fantasy was recorded on 3
Nov 1927.
Takes B and C have been issued (LP and CD) and are worth comparing. Take A is
supposed to be on Columbia LP C3l-27, but I have never been able to track it
down for comparison. Does it really exist?