[Dixielandjazz] Favorite Piano Solos & clarinet

Don Ingle dingle@baldwin-net.com
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:31:39 -0500

My first teacher, also a mentor, was Red Nichols, more as a favor to my dad
than his doing any regular teaching. He lived a few blocks away in Tolucca
Lake. His was mostly lip building, flexibility exercises and breath control.
He later recommended a women teacher, Jane Sager, who I studied with for
several years. Great teacher for technical studies. Frankly, I never studied
long enough and hard enough in those early years what with college, road
trips and all, so I played catch up when I ran into problems later, with
Lenny Mach, top studio guy and great teacher, and also a few sessions with
Lou Maggio, a great master who worked with Conrad Gonzo and others.
He helped build on the low range to build the high range, using pedal tones.
I can do the pedals well enough on trombone but the trumpet/cornet pedals
were the hardest.
These days, playing a half dozen gigs a year of late, I fall back on the
Nichols exercises to get my chops up for a gig -- then the chops go into
hibernation for months at a time. It's getting harder to do every year, but
I somehow
get the job done. Less a problem if I play the valve trombone -- takes about
two days to get chops backup.
Had call a couple years ago to fill in on trombone for Tommy Bartlett with
Chicago Salty Dogs on a Michigan gig -- last minute with two days to get
ready. Made the four-hour gig okay, but would have need at least a week if
the call had been for cornet.
I think the first lessons by Nichols have served me best
over time -- long tones, long tones, and more long tones.
And yes, I remember Elsa. A Fox. But remember, Jean was working there too,
so I didn't ogle as much as you did.(grin).
I also remember the time we both got short paychecks from Ruth, who'd had a
few bad days at the track. But she always made  it up with a little added on
for interest. Lord, did Ruthie love the ponies!
   For those lurkers reading this, I note that Jim Beebe was one of the joys
in my playing days. He played a hard, gutsy, and always perfect ensemble
style that was always "spot on." It was a pleasure for sure.
Don Ingle