[Dixielandjazz] Bird and Books

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 22:37:24 -0600

Bird fans--
     Bill Crow in his _Jazz Anecdotes_ says the same as Len regarding
how Charlie Parker got the nickname 'Bird'.  And it wasn't, "Charlie
Parker would squeak a lot, and that's why they called him Bird,
because his reed would chirp." (as Kenny G. said).

        "The Jay McShann band was on its way to play a job at the
      University of Nebraska.  As they passed a farm, the car Charlie
      Parker was riding in hit a chicken that ran across the road.
      McShann said: 'Charlie told the driver, "Man, go back, you hit
      that yardbird." They went back, and Charlie jumped out and got
      the chicken.  When they got to Lincoln, he asked the lady who
      ran the boarding house where we were staying to cook it for
      dinner.'"

Marvelous book, great stories, not all of them funny, but just slices
of musicians' lives.
     Another fun book that i just received today is called _This Is
Ragtime_ by Terry Waldo.  I had written Leon Oakley asking if he knew
of any articles on Lu Watters, and he replied (in part), "I've just
been looking in my collection for a book on Ragtime that Terry Waldo
wrote that quoted Lou verbatim, including all the "f" words, but
can't find at the moment." I searched for it at Amazon.com, and they
got it for me via a company called 'alibris'.  The book was first
published in 1976 and was reprinted by Da Capo Press in 1991, and
it's very interesting and informative, with an extensive discography
and bibliography.  And it does have about five pages of what i take
to be a taped interview with Lu Watters, and he does sprinkle his
conversation with certain obscenities, but they're minor spices on
his thoughts on the kind of music he wanted to play. Good book; i
recommend it.

     Dan

--
**  Dan Augustine     Austin, Texas     ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu  **
**    "I don't jog.  If I die I want to be sick."  --  Abe Lemons     **