[Dixielandjazz] Memorable Solos

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:22:39 +0000

Listmates,

Solos are great studies in melodic treatment. Often a solo can be rendered
virtually unrecognizable, not by changing the melodic line but by changing
the setting against which it is placed.

I have, in my little computer, a MIDI file of a short classical piece. I
have taken the liberty to insert a common melody, note for note, within the
piece. To those of you with MIDI capability I offer a small challenge:

First, identify the composer of the original piece - secondly, identify the
name of the piece and thirdly, identify the name of the song.

For some reason, it is not easy to quickly identify a simple melody so
treated.

I will e-mail the MIDI file to anyone interested via an attachment which
you'll be able to play on your MIDI setup. I have no doubt that you will
solve the last part (the name of the tune) in fairly quick order but when
you respond to me I would be interested in learning how long it took you to
figure it out.

For those of you who are unable to derive the name of the tune, let me know
and I'll give you some clues.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Name That Tune" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com