[Dixielandjazz] New Video Release

Burt Wilson futurecon@earthlink.net
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 09:27:12 -0800

I would like to announce the availabilityof a new video of the live
performances of the Silver Dollar Jazz Band at the 2001 Sacramento Jazz
Jubilee. Filled with almost two hours of music, the video offers a real
festival atmosphere including the appearance of guest stars. This was a kind
of reunion for the remaining original members of the the first band that
ever played at the first Shakey's Pizza Parlor on 57th and J in Sacramento.
According to K.O. Eckland's Jazz West, "this large Watters-type band was the
beginnings of the jazz revival in Sacramento."

The personnel on the video:

Burt Wilson, leader & trombone
Phil Howe, reeds
Gary Church, cornet
Don Van Palta, banjo
John Robinson, banjo
"Sugar" Wille Erickson, piano
Jim Snoke, tuba
George Cecil, drums

Wilson, Howe, Van Palta, Robinson and Erickson were all members of the
original 1955 band. The tunes include Shake That Thing, Bienville Blues,
Canal St. Blues, I used to work in Chicago, When the War Breaks out in
Mexico, Beal St. Blues, Melancholy, Jazz Me Blues, There'll be some changes
made (with a short imitation of Wild Bill by Church) My Little Bimbo down on
a Bamboo Isle (Wilson on Uke), Cakewalkin' Babies, Silver Dollar, Just a
Closer Walk with Thee, Some of these Days, and more. With an hour and 53
minutes of music, the video contains about twice the music of a single CD.

Don Van Palta's "Rhapsody in Blue" on the banjo is worth the price of the
whole tape. His version of "Grenada"' with Erickson is a classic from their
duo days in the 50's as "The Fingerbusters" which took them both to the
Mickie Finn Show.

The video captures the festival experience as it is live all the way. The
jokes, sit-ins and enthusiasm of the crowds are evident and one gets the
feeling of actually being there.

It's available for $24.95 at www.paloriapress.com  DJML list members will
receive a $5.00 refund.

What there, check out the Anne Davison video, "Wild Bill's Woman," and two
jazz books by Wilson, "Shakey & Me," a humorous recounting of the Shakey
years, and "A History of Sacramento Jazz," which traces the development of
OKUM in Sacramento from 1948 to 1968 and contains a lot of funny musician
stories.