[Dixielandjazz] Re: SAN

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 10:14:30 +1100

Dear Rebecca,
I have been waiting for someone more familiar with lyrics to answer your
question.
Like Mr Wild Willie Gunter.
Nothing!
So here we go (self-explanatory):

SAN. (Lindsay McPhail-Walter Michels)

First Verse
King San of Senegal Sat on the shore At Bulamay,
Singing a sad refrain. To his dear queen who'd gone away, This
was his lay.

Second Verse
One day the queen came home Saw San in sadness on the shore,
Told him she'd no more roam. Only her San would she adore,
Then came this lore.

Chorus
Oh, sweet heart Lona, my darling Lona, Why have you gone
away? You said you loved me, But if you loved me, Why did you
act this way? If I had ever been untrue to you, What you have
done would be the thing to do; But my heart aches, dear, And it
will break, dear, If you don't come back home again to San!

Chorus 2
Oh, sweet heart Lona, my darling Lona, Have you come back to
stay? You said you loved me, I knew you loved me, I knew you'd |
come some day. If I had ever been untrue to you, What you have
done would be the thing to do; But now you're mine, dear, For all
the time, dear, And you're forgiven by your loving San!

Kind regards,
Bill.