[Dixielandjazz] Live or memorex

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Sat, 09 Nov 2002 17:25:59 -0500

Jim Beebe wrote (Polite snip)

<The ideal scene for live recordings is to be able to record over a
series of  nights so that the band gets comftorable with it and tends to
forget about it.  Then select the best from those recordings.>

Absolutely agree with that portion of Jim's post. During the 50s, most
of the "modern" jazzers I went to hear at Birdland, Jazz Gallery, Famous
Door etc., recorded in this manner. The recording equipment would run
for several consecutive gigs at the club. On the other hand, I went to
the 5 Spot two nights in a row when they were recording live. In this
instance, the group played the same tunes two or three times in a row on
both nights until the leader was satisfied.

Took two nights to get an LP from the group. Some of the audience didn't
like it, but for me, it was kind of interesting to hear successive takes
of songs and listen for the differences.

I guess the bottom line is "Whatever floats your boat."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone