[Dixielandjazz] Studio or live

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 14:08:01 EST

--part1_51.271a3476.2afeb711_boundary

In a message dated 11/9/02 11:02:10 AM Central Standard Time,
barbonestreet@earthlink.net writes:

> Just an opinion, but for me, performing live, or recording live
> performances is where jazz music really is. I can only imagine what it
> must have been like to hear King Oliver or Louis Armstrong in the 1920s
> live. As good as the records are, and as grateful as I am to hear them,
> I believe that in live performance, they must have been even better.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone

   I will agree to disagree with you, steve.  I have found from my experience
that studio recordings, in the main, come off better than live recordings.
Of, course, all of this is a variable.

   Louis Armstrong's best recordings were done in the studio ( with three
exceptions, the Town Hall concert, the Symphony Hall concert and 'Ambassador
Satch ').  Armstrong's creativity came to life in the studio where he could
get away from doing a 'show.'  Away from the fans, musicians and hangers-on.
The same goes for most top jazz musicians.

  I found in doing live recordings that musicians tend to freeze up, not
wanting to play any clams and this makes it difficult to do a decent show.
The ideal scene for live recordings is to be able to record over a series of
nights so that the band gets comftorable with it and tends to forget about
it.  Then select the best from those recordings.

  I was on a live recording once for George Buck.  Nice new club, and the
place was packed. Buck had his engineer there recording.  It was a special
evening with fantastic audience response. The leader, the dynamic Rev. Gary
Miller is on, Charlie Hooks, Laurie Seaman, Spider Ridgeway, Craig Hodnett
and Nick Opperman were superb and everything came off just beautifully.  We
got over to Buck's house the next day to listen to the tapes.  We are all
sitting there and the engineer starts the tapes...and nothing. and...nothing.
 The engineer stops and restarts tape, fast forwards, goes to the next
tape...and nothing.  Not one note of the entire evening got recorded.  George
Buck muttered something about marijuana and went upstairs to bed...the only
time I have seen him so angry.  We redid the live recording and it came off
ok but it didn't have the magic that the original night had.

So, I think that some live recordings will come off exceptionally well but
Studio recordings are where you can take some time and you don't have to do a
show.

Jim Beebe

--part1_51.271a3476.2afeb711_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 11/9/02 11:02:10 AM Central Standard Time, barbonestreet@earthlink.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Just an opinion, but for me, performing live, or recording live<BR>
performances is where jazz music really is. I can only imagine what it<BR>
must have been like to hear King Oliver or Louis Armstrong in the 1920s<BR>
live. As good as the records are, and as grateful as I am to hear them,<BR>
I believe that in live performance, they must have been even better.<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
Steve Barbone</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I will agree to disagree with you, steve.&nbsp; I have found from my experience that studio recordings, in the main, come off better than live recordings.&nbsp; Of, course, all of this is a variable.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Louis Armstrong's best recordings were done in the studio ( with three exceptions, the Town Hall concert, the Symphony Hall concert and 'Ambassador Satch ').&nbsp; Armstrong's creativity came to life in the studio where he could get away from doing a 'show.'&nbsp; Away from the fans, musicians and hangers-on.&nbsp; The same goes for most top jazz musicians.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; I found in doing live recordings that musicians tend to freeze up, not wanting to play any clams and this makes it difficult to do a decent show.&nbsp; The ideal scene for live recordings is to be able to record over a series of nights so that the band gets comftorable with it and tends to forget about it.&nbsp; Then select the best from those recordings.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; I was on a live recording once for George Buck.&nbsp; Nice new club, and the place was packed. Buck had his engineer there recording.&nbsp; It was a special evening with fantastic audience response. The leader, the dynamic Rev. Gary Miller is on, Charlie Hooks, Laurie Seaman, Spider Ridgeway, Craig Hodnett and Nick Opperman were superb and everything came off just beautifully.&nbsp; We got over to Buck's house the next day to listen to the tapes.&nbsp; We are all sitting there and the engineer starts the tapes...and nothing. and...nothing.&nbsp; The engineer stops and restarts tape, fast forwards, goes to the next tape...and nothing.&nbsp; Not one note of the entire evening got recorded.&nbsp; George Buck muttered something about marijuana and went upstairs to bed...the only time I have seen him so angry.&nbsp; We redid the live recording and it came off ok but it didn't have the magic that the original night had.<BR>
<BR>
So, I think that some live recordings will come off exceptionally well but Studio recordings are where you can take some time and you don't have to do a show.<BR>
<BR>
Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_51.271a3476.2afeb711_boundary--