[Dixielandjazz] FW: Lonnie Donegan

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Sat, 09 Nov 2002 17:20:46 +0000

Hi Listmates and Bill H down there in Sydney.

I want to thank you, Bill, for posting that obit for Lonnie Donegan on the
DJML. I read it with great interest because Donegan is one of the
inspirations for a band I'm associated with (The Boondockers -
www.theboondockers.com).

The Boondockers are heavily into comedy and we also play OKOM!

There is one quote from the Donegan obit to which I could completely relate:

"I'm not a serious musician, because I don't have the capability, but I take
my music seriously because I love music. And I'm a man who loves a laugh. So
if there's no laugh, what's the point of getting up there?"

And, by the way, if there be those among you who feel that laughter is a
'trivial' aspect of jazz please disabuse yourselves of that notion. Laughter
is no 'laughing matter!'

For me, the greatest thing which can be said about a person in his or her
obituary would be "He knew how to laugh and make others laugh!"

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Gimme That Funny Hat" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com