[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz digest, Vol 1 #308 - 26 msgs

DWSI@aol.com DWSI@aol.com
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 15:07:49 EST

--part1_16e.16bf45cc.2afc2215_boundary

In a message dated 11/7/2002 3:02:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:

> Thanks for mentioning Lee Gifford. I played a bunch of gigs with him in
> NYC in the late 1950s and band mates and I marveled at what this fine
> trombone player put down on every tune he played. My, my, my, how good
> it was to work with him and listen to what he was playing. Initially met
> him at Nick's when he was gigging there with Maxted. Not your everyday
> Dixieland line trombone player, but oh how he played, his command of the
> horn, his imagination, it was very exciting.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone

Dan Spink replies:

Steve, you actually played with Billy Maxted? Whatever happened to him? I've
been trying to find his old records or tapes or whatever. He played in the
Village with one of the tightest groups I ever heard, although his records
never sounded as good as he did in person for some reason. Please let me know
if he's still around and where I can hear his music. Much much appreciated...

Dan Spink
dwsi@aol.com

--part1_16e.16bf45cc.2afc2215_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#3dffff"><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 11/7/2002 3:02:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Thanks for mentioning Lee Gifford. I played a bunch of gigs with him in<BR>
NYC in the late 1950s and band mates and I marveled at what this fine<BR>
trombone player put down on every tune he played. My, my, my, how good<BR>
it was to work with him and listen to what he was playing. Initially met<BR>
him at Nick's when he was gigging there with Maxted. Not your everyday<BR>
Dixieland line trombone player, but oh how he played, his command of the<BR>
horn, his imagination, it was very exciting.<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
Steve Barbone<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Dan Spink replies:<BR>
<BR>
Steve, you actually played with Billy Maxted? Whatever happened to him? I've been trying to find his old records or tapes or whatever. He played in the Village with one of the tightest groups I ever heard, although his records never sounded as good as he did in person for some reason. Please let me know if he's still around and where I can hear his music. Much much appreciated...<BR>
<BR>
Dan Spink<BR>
dwsi@aol.com</FONT></HTML>

--part1_16e.16bf45cc.2afc2215_boundary--